Philippines Building and Community
- Who?Groups of at least 5
- When?Projects have flexible dates and run all year round
- Where?Bogo City, Cebu, Philippines
The Philippines is our newest Asian destination and it offers an incredible opportunity to play a valuable role in its rebuilding and recovery since the tragic Typhoon Haiyan disaster. In the wake of this natural disaster in November of 2013, Projects Abroad set up our Disaster Relief project giving volunteers the chance to make a difference in the affected communities.
The Disaster Relief project will focus on areas in the northern part of the Cebu Island where a total of 874 classrooms were destroyed by the typhoon, according to the Department of Education.
It may take months for schools and other care centres for children to receive government help while infrastructure is being repaired. Projects Abroad volunteers will help to bridge this through repair and renovation work at schools and childcare centres and by helping to care for children.
Volunteering on the building project
The National Housing Project (NHA), under the company DILAMAG Construction, hopes to construct close to 1000 houses (28.6 square metre bungalow row-houses) in one of the Barangay in San Remegio. They need volunteers to assist with the following activities:
- Laying foundation and concrete slabs
- Installing lift panels (piping, utility and safety box)
- Plumbing (piping works for sewer and water line)
- Working on the door jambs
- Working on the roof framing and covering
- Tiling and floor topping works
- Plastering and painting
Volunteers will also work with a local tradesman to rebuild schools with the Kalahi-CIDSS organisation, who hope to construct three schools and one classroom in different Barangays of San Remegio, and the Rotary Club of Mactan, who aim to reconstruct five school buildings throughout Bogo City and one school in San Remegio. Volunteers will assist with:
- Preparing the site (clearing the school building and removing damaged material)
- Transporting cement, sand, gravel, corrugated bars and roof sheets
- Mixing cement and laying concrete hollow blocks
- Plastering the walls
- Installing roof sheets and bars
- Welding bars and assembling steel trusses
- Installing door and window jambs
- Cutting lumbers and ply woods
- Installing ceiling frames
- Painting walls, doors, ceilings, roofs
We are concentrating our efforts in Bogo City and in the municipality of San Remigio, working in coordination with the School District Supervisors and local government units. Groups will work at primary schools that need immediate reconstruction and repair and will be accompanied by trained carpenters and masons.
On Cebu Island the beaches in the north and southwest offer the classic combination of white sand and clear seas with spectacular diving or snorkelling. It really is a beautiful country with an abundance of attractions to see and explore.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.